Saturday 1 November 2014

The Stylistics - 'Missing In Action?' Not from what I saw last night!

Last night, I went to see The Stylistics in concert. It’s not an unusual event for me. Just over five years ago I came into contact with lead singer Eban Brown (he took over when Russell Thompkins Jr left in 2000). 

During that time, we've become friends, and during their English tour each year, we meet up at one of their dates. This time it was in St Albans (Hertfordshire).

What became apparent again last night is how wide their appeal still is. In the audience last night were plenty of people who’d been fans right from the beginning of the early 1970s and were the age of the founding members Herb Murrell and Airrion Love. Then there were the next age group down which is mine (I'm 54 in case you didn't know – July 29 if you want to send me a card next year!). And there were people in their 40s, 30s and 20s as well.

Certainly from where I sat, everyone seemed to know their songs and were singing along. There was plenty of dancing going on as well.


It led me to wonder why, with so much support still wanting to see them, that they’re so underplayed on UK radio. And so today, I'm going to offer you my Top 5 'Missing In Action' Stylistics songs. But first, here’s a 30 second snippet from last night’s show!


1) People Make The Word Go Round


2) Break Up To Make Up


3)  Peek A Boo


4) The Miracle


and finally.... much newer than these four, but a song that always gets a good reception when I play it - Born To Step Together


All I can say is that The Stylistics are still performing fantastically well. Their songs are still loved, and I think far too many of their songs are 'Missing In Action'.

No comments:

Post a Comment