Wednesday 19 November 2014

Jimmy Ruffin R.I.P.

It has been confirmed today that Jimmy Ruffin passed away on 17 November 2014. He had been ill since being hospitalized in Las Vegas in October. He was 75.

He first joined Motown in 1961 and was drafted into the army before returning in 1964. He was almost invited to join The Temptations, but after hearing his brother David, that didn't happen.

In 1966, he heard a song that was due to go to The Spinners and convinced Motown to let him record it, and it became his biggest hit "What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted". Jimmy had some follow up hits, but couldn't sustain his success, so in 1970 he started to focus on the U.K.

He had big hits in the UK throughout 1970. He also teamed up with brother David and recorded an album "I Am My Brother's Keeper".

In the 1980s, Jimmy moved to the UK where he continued to perform and in 1984 collaborated with Paul Weller on the single Soul Deep, He also worked with the likes of Heaven 17 and Maxine Nightingale, He even hosted a radio show in the UK as well.

He moved back to America and continued to work and record until he fell ill recently.

Here are some of his songs that I feel have been Missing In Action.

"I've Passed This Way Before"



"Hold On To My Love"


"I'll Say Forever My Love"


"Tell Me What You Want"



"Farewell Is A lonely Sound"




No comments:

Post a Comment