Thursday 23 October 2014

Differences between 'our' music and 'theirs'!

It’s funny how artists and their songs may be ‘Missing In Action’ in one country, and yet in another country, they can be heard on mainstream radio on a regular basis. In fact, it can be the case in counties (states, if you’re in America for example). You can also say that there are many artists who haven’t crossed over the Atlantic and made too big an impact either.

Since I started doing ‘Missing In Action’ and have developed an American listenership, I've noticed this even more.

When it comes to putting my shows together, I’ll get requests from listeners in America for songs that I don’t think I’ve ever heard on radio in England and I know that songs that charted here have been totally unknown there.

To me, this is the great thing about music. I do what’s primarily an oldies show, and yet week after week, I come across oldies that are totally ‘new to me’.

Here are 10 videos of songs that may be well known in America, but I don’t think would be known to the majority people in the UK

Roger Voudouris - Get Used To It (US #21 – 1979)


Ali Thomson - Take A Little Rhythm (US #15 – 1980)


Beau Brummels – Laugh Laugh (US #15 – 1965)


Stampeders - Sweet City Woman (US #8 – 1971)


Jim Photoglo - Fool In Love With You (US #25 – 1981)


Johnny Rivers – Secret Agent Man (US #3 – 1966)


Ian Matthews – Shake It (US #13 – 1979)


Mouth & McNeal – How Do You Do (US #8 – 1972)


Gary Lewis & The Playboys – Green Grass (US #8 – 1965)


For me, the thing is that I really like these songs, and am enjoying finding all these American hits that had evaded me for so many years. And it's great to be sharing them with people who would agree that they really are 'Missing In Action'!

While you're here - don't forget to become an 'Insider' and find out more about what's happening in the show. You'll also be able to get any special shows that won't be available anywhere else, and be eligible for any special offers that might come our way!

No comments:

Post a Comment